Friday, January 29, 2010

Hippolyta Can Sew!

Yes, I can!
So who am I, and why "Hippolyta"? I am a 50+ sewist who has been creating with needle and thread for over 40 years. Hippolyta was the Queen of the Amazons and since I am rather queenish and rather Amazonish I use the name with pride! I have been six-feet-and-a-smile tall since I was 12 years old so I have always had difficulty finding clothing that fit properly. My mom was tall with 3 tall daughters so she made all our clothes. It was thanks to watching her that I learned the basics of sewing. As a young wife with a limited budget and 3 small children I used the trial-and-error method to learn to make all of our clothing- including shirts for my husband. Over the years I have learned a thing or two about sewing- some from reading, some from practice. It was my dream to one day have my own line of clothing for tall, plus-size women ( like me) and in the 90's I made that dream come true. I had been doing contract sewing, making everything from a line of knitwear to horse "slinkies" to costumes and when the time was right I began "Amazon Designs." I loved creating clothing for women in the US as well as in other countries. In 2002 my marriage ended and I returned to school, graduating in 2005 with a degree in Radiography. Talk about a change of career! I put my sewing interests on hold until the past few months, but now I am back with a renewed sewing fever. It is amazing how things have changed in the sewing world in the past few years. Most of the brick-and-mortar fabric stores are gone but the internet world has opened a whole new world of fabric opportunities. I miss being able to walk through aisles of fabrics and getting my creative juices flowing from feeling the farics, seeing how they drape, and imagining how I could use them. Such is life. I was beginning to feel like I was a relic of the past when it came to sewing until I found communities online that share my passion. I am renewed!
So, in addition to my cooking blog (Hippolyta Can Cook!) I am starting this one for my sewing. This will be a place where I can share my creations, tips, and random thoughts with the world.
Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to the needle! I saw your comments at The Sewing Divas, where I contribute periodically. I was raised in Northwest Arkansas. :)

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete