Friday, January 29, 2010

Raspberry Sorbet Purse

When I saw the raspberry and black fabric I just knew it would make a lovely purse. My purse-making efforts in the past were fairly rudimentary and I was a bit hesitant to tackle this pattern. I used McCalls 6045 and, as I am wont to do, make a few changes as the bag developed. I was frustrated by all the pieces since I always trace off my patterns onto pattern paper, saving the uncut pattern.
I used drapery-weight fabrics and backed them with fusible fleece. I used a fusible mid-weight interfacing to give the lining a bit of body. The pattern called for inside pockets on both sides but I decided I wanted a zippered pocket on one side. However, once I sewed around the zipper opening and turned the fabric in I loved the way it looked without a zipper- it looks like a beautiful bound buttonhole! So, I left it that way- no zipper. I love using piping but the cording I used was a little stiff, I think. Had I not had an industrial straight-stitch machine I don't think Old Bernie could have handled all the thicknesses. My topstitching is a bit wonky and after the fact I wish I had used a better-matching thread! I was anxious to try my hand using rings and buckles so I changed the strap. Instead of being one piece with the gusset I used O-rings, a buckle, and grommets. I made a few kerfluffles with the altered design but I have it worked out for the next one. Live and learn! Is isn't perfect but when I sent my daughter a picture of it she loved it and now it is hers. "Raspberry Sorbet"- perfect name, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment